HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PADDLE BOARD
This guide is designed to help new paddlers find a board that will be stable and fun to use.
I. RIGID OR INFLATABLE?
Deciding between a rigid and inflatable is a great first step as it immediately narrows your choice based on your needs and priorities. In a nutshell, choose a rigid paddle baord for specific paddling styles (touring, surfing, etc.), longer life span and if you plan to leave the board outdoors. Choose an inflatable for casual paddling and if you prefer a lighter weight, more portable option.
Reasons to choose a rigid paddle board:
- For maximum durability, in cases where you plan to store it outdoors or will be paddling around sharp rocks, oyster beds, etc.
- Efficiency and glide when paddling in choppy water conditions, thanks to the increased stiffness of the boad.
- When you need a board that is more specifically suited to how you plan to use the baord (touring, surfing, etc).
Reasons to choose an inflatable paddle board:
- For ease of transport, storage and travel
- Considerably lighter weight than rigid kayaks, while still being quite durable
- For casual paddling
- For maximum versatility our SUP-YAK hybrid allows for quick and easy conversion between kayak and paddle board use.
II. WHO WILL USE THE BOARD?
You'll want to select a board that will work for the heaviest rider who will regularly use the board. Lighter riders can have fun on a larger board, but heavier riders will struggle with a board that is too small. All TAHE paddle boards list a maximum recommended rider weight. This recommendation is for novice riders. More experienced riders and athletic individuals can and do use boards below the maximum recommended weight.
Pro Tip: Be sure to include the weight of any gear and/or passengers you plan to bring along when considering the right board for you. For example if you have a 50lb dog and weigh 150lbs you'll want to make sure the maximum rider weight is 200lbs or more.
III. HOW DO YOU PLAN TO USE THE BOARD?
Most people want to simply enjoy time with family and friends on the lake, flat water bay or river. In this case nearly all TAHE boards will work if they are the appropriate size for the user(s). That said, there are a wide range of activities to experience on a paddle board. Understanding these activites, and deciding which ones are of most interest to you, will help you pick your ultimate board.
PADDLE BOARD ACTIVITIES
There are so many fun ways you can enjoy paddle boarding! The list below is an overview of the most popular ways to enjoy the sport. The descriptions below will help you understand the most common ways to enjoy the sport and consider which ones you want your board to be suited towards.